Cisco continues next-generation enhancement of all its Expert-level certification programs with the adoption of an agile and modular approach to written and lab exam revisions. Our CCIE Service Provider track will serve as the pilot project for this new approach to the exam refresh process.
The Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert Wireless (CCIE Wireless) certification assesses and validates wireless expertise. Candidates who pass the CCIE Wireless certification exams demonstrate broad theoretical knowledge of wireless networking and a solid understanding of wireless local area networking (WLAN) technologies from Cisco, the market leader in WLAN technology.
There are no formal prerequisites for CCIE certification. Other professional certifications or training courses are not required. Instead, candidates must first pass a written qualification exam and then the corresponding hands-on lab exam. You are expected to have an in-depth understanding of the exam topics and strongly encouraged to have three to five years of job experience before attempting certification.
Step One: CCIE Wireless Written Exam
You must pass the two-hour, written exam before you are eligible to schedule the lab exam.
Step Two: CCIE Wireless Lab Exam
The eight-hour lab exam confirms that you have the job skills and technical knowledge required of a wireless expert-level network professional. You must make an initial attempt of the CCIE lab exam within 18-months of passing the CCIE written exam. If you do not pass the lab exam within three years of passing the written exam, you must retake the written exam before being allowed to attempt the lab exam again.
Cisco Learning Networking Resources
- CCIE Wireless Written Exam Study Materials
- CCIE Wireless Lab Exam Study Materials
- Evolving Technologies Study Resources
- CCIE Wireless Syllabus
- CCIE Wireless Study Group
Get all your CCIE Wireless questions answered.
Learning Partner Content
- Partners: Log In for Cisco SalesConnect curricula.
To earn this Cisco certification, you must pass the following exam(s):
CCIE Wireless Written Exam
The written exam is a two-hour, multiple choice test with 90-110 questions that will validate that professionals have the expertise to plan, design, implement, operate and troubleshoot Enterprise WLAN networks.
- Learn more about the 400-351 CCIE Wireless exam
- Register for the exam
- Read current exam policies and requirements
CCIE Wireless Lab Exam
The eight-hour lab exam confirms that you have the job skills and technical knowledge required of a wireless expert-level network professional.
CCIEs Are Required to Recertify Every Two Years.
Active CCIE status shows your commitment to maintaining expert-level knowledge in an industry critical to the success of virtually every organization. CCIEs are encouraged to continually expand their technical knowledge and are required to pass a recertification exam every two years. If you do not complete your recertification before the deadlines, your CCIE certification will be suspended and you and your employer will lose the benefits associated with your expert status. You have one year to reinstate your CCIE status before you become inactive and must begin the certification process all over again.
- Your recertification deadline can be viewed online anytime (with login) at Certification Status.
- Subsequent recertification deadlines are always based on your original certification date, not on when you took your last recertification exam.
- To maintain active status, every 24-months CCIEs are required to pass one of the following before the certification expiration date:
- Pass any current CCIE Written Exam OR CCIE Lab Exam or
- Pass the current CCDE Written Exam OR current CCDE Practical Exam, or
- Pass the Cisco Certified Architect (CCAr) interview AND the CCAr board review to extend lower certifications.
- CCIE certification automatically extends other Cisco Certifications, such as CCNP or CCNA.
- Candidates can only apply one passed written exam towards recertification for every 24 month recertification period.
- Candidates must wait 15 calendar days between attempts at the written exam.
- Certification candidates are responsible for keeping track of their certification expiration dates. Please plan your recertification accordingly. If your CCIE recertification requirements are not completed on or before the certification's expiration date, your CCIE certification will be suspended for one year. Candidates have one year to recertify their CCIE certification by passing the required written exam. If a candidate does not recertify prior to the one year deadline and your employer will be notified. Suspended candidates have one year to recertify their CCIE certification by passing the required written exam or practical lab before their expert level certification becomes permanently inactive. Inactive CCIE professionals lose all benefits and must pass both the CCIE written and lab exams again.
- Achieving or recertifying CCIE automatically extends your active Entry, Associate, Professional or other Expert level certification(s), or Specialist certifications up to the expiration date of the latest CCIE, CCDE or CCAr certification achieved.
- Be sure to use the same ID number you were assigned for your original qualification exam to ensure your profile is updated accurately. If you have any questions about which ID number to use, contact CCIE support.